homeuphistoryuplocationupfloorplanupphotosuplinksup

A fine example of Early Commercial American Movements Architecture, The Woodrums building was built in 1916 as Woodrums Home Outfitting Company by brothers Charles E. and John R. Woodrum. A 50,000 square foot addition was completed in 1937, which doubled the retail space, making Woodrums Home Outfitting Company the largest furniture store in the south.
The building flourished between the 1930’s and 1960’s. In the 1970’s, the decline of the furniture market caused the family to sell the furniture business to local business man Fred Haddad, who maintained it until the early 80’s. At that time, the business was sold and inventory liquidated, but the building remained in the Woodrum family. From then until 1995, the building was largely unused. At that time, John C. Board, Jr. and William E. Board, grandson’s of one of the original owners, along with remaining family heirs, formed Woodrums Building Limited Partnership.
That same year, they hired several contractors to renovate the building and bring the plumbing, electrical and HVAC infrastructure up to modern standards. In September of 1995, the first tenant contracted for 5000 square feet of space on the 2nd floor. Soon after, Acordia National signed a 10 year lease occupying and constructing over 70,000 rentable square feet, which virtually completed the building.
The Woodrums Building was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1996 as Building #96000439. Today, the building has been brought up to match or exceed current office building standards and is an excellent example of class 1 office space.

HomeHistoryLocationFloorplansPhotosLinks
602 Virginia Street • Charleston, WV 25301
Voice (304) 741-2185 • Fax (304) 345-5571 • Email
© woodrumsbuilding.com 2014